- Kao, Kristen. With Ezra Karmel. 2020. “What do Jordan’s Election Results Mean?” The Washington Post/Monkey Cage. Available here. Picked up and translated locally, discussed on Al Hurra News Channel here and on Al Jazeera’s Facebook page with thousands of likes and hundreds of comments here.
- Kao, Kristen and Mara Revkin. 2019. “How the Iraqi crackdown on the Islamic State may actually increase support for the Islamic State.” Washington Post/Monkey Cage. Click here.
- Kao, Kristen, Ellen Lust, and Marc Lynch. 2017. “Are Islamists making a comeback in the Middle East? Here’s why they succeed—and fail”. Washington Post/Monkey Cage. Click here.
- Kao, Kristen. 2016. “How Jordan’s Election Revealed Enduring Weaknesses in its Political System.” (Alternative Title: “Why Jordanian Elections Lack Political Parties (and the Answer is Not Tribes).”) Washington Post/Monkey Cage. Click Here
- Kao, Kristen. 2015. “Do Jordan’s Tribes Challenge or Strengthen the State?” Washington Post/Monkey Cage. Click Here
- Kao, Kristen. 2012. “Jordan’s Ongoing Election Law Battle.” Sada. Washington, DC: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. Click Here
Here is a quick 9 minute video presentation of my dissertation research that was created for a general (non-academic) audience:
“The Parliamentary Puzzle: Why Vote in an Autocracy?”